Thursday, January 21, 2016

Error - Instant File Initialization Failed

Hi Friends,

Here comes the first post of the wonderful year 2016 ahead. Last year, we have ended with the post on Introduction to Hadoop. Lets start our first post with an Error in SQL Server.

Description:

One of the error which I faced very frequently now a days as you can see the below snapshot: "File initialization failed" because of which my Restoration activity was failed.

This error occurred when I was in the middle of a Migration activity, were I was suppose to Backup and Restore a Database from one Server to another one. After executing the Restoration command with stats=1, I was waiting for 1 percent to complete (after that I can have a nap because the backup file was huge and the activity was at mid night) but I was awaiting awaiting and awaiting for that 1 percent. It was getting suspicious because it should not take too long to complete even a percent.

So, I decided to stop the restoration. Once the session was stopped I found the below error message:

Instant File Initialization Failed

Instant File Initialization Failed
Basically, I will try to explain the behind the scene what exactly SQL Server does then we create or Restore a backup file in different post. In this post just lets look for the solution for the error.

Solution:

1. Run => Secpol.msc;

Open Local Security Policy => Local Policies => User Rights Assignment => "Perform Volume Maintenance Task" => Right click => Add the user through which SQL Server services are running. Like you see in the below snapshot.

2. No need to restart the Server.

3. Now, start the restoration process and this time it will work well.

Perform Volume Maintenance Task

Perform Volume Maintenance Task

So from now SQL Server will skip the Zero Initialization whenever we create or restore a Database. Later we will see what exactly does this mean in probably in different post.

Hope this will save your time and this will help you. Don't forget to drop a comment below. Also do vote below if it is Interesting, Informative or Boring.

Facing trouble while switching the Database from Single User Mode to Multi Mode check here for solution.

(It's been so long, more than couple of weeks I was away from my blog. I'm afraid this could further continue for few more, due to multiple projects on weekdays as well over the weekends. Due to this, my Blogging might also affected. So, stay tuned soon we will learn many things on SQL Server as well as Hadoop Administrator.)

Thanks,
Vikas B Sahu
Keep Learning and Enjoy Learning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment